As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
The pressure treatment of your wood is an important way to add protection to a wood deck or other option to prevent rot. It involves an infusion of chemicals into the pores of the wood to help repel insects and other things that will ruin the wood.
While a pressure treatment can provide a lot of protection to the wood, you can take this a bit further by adding a deck sealer as well. Knowing which sealer will get the work done can help maintain the beauty of your deck.
- Pressure Treated Wood Deck Sealer Reviews
- Best Stainer and Sealer for Pressure Treated Wood: Ready Seal 505 Exterior Stain and Sealer for Wood
- Best Protection Sealer for Pressure Treated Wood: Minwax 630510444 Water Based Spar Urethane
- Best to Show the Beauty of the Wood: DEFY Extreme Semi-Transparent Exterior Wood Stain
- Best for Wet Surfaces: #1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain for Decks
- Best Low Odor Deck Sealer: Rainguard Homeowner Wet Look High Gloss Sealer
- Best Budget Deck Sealer for Pressure Treated Wood: Thompson Waterseal Semi-Transparent Waterproofing Stain
- Considerations for Pressure Treated Wood Sealers
- Choosing the Right Sealer
Pressure Treated Wood Deck Sealer Reviews
There are many deck sealers on the market that can give you some of the protection that you need on the deck. Not all of them will have the strength and protective abilities as others. This is why it is so important to find the one that will strike a good balance between quality and good price.
Here our top picks for the best deck sealer for pressure treated wood:
Best Stainer and Sealer for Pressure Treated Wood: Ready Seal 505 Exterior Stain and Sealer for Wood
When you want to work with an excellent sealer that can work well on woods that are pressure treated, you need to work with the Ready Seal 505 Exterior. Compared to the Rainguard Homeowner Gloss Sealer, this stain and seal is an oil-based sealer and stain all in one.
This can keep things as simple as possible and can save time compared to having to stain and seal separately.The unique formula found in this sealer will help to deeply penetrate the pressure-treated wood to help protect and preserve it against anything that the elements are able to throw at it.
At the same time, it is going to enhance some of the natural beauty of your wood and will be dry in about 48 to 72 hours based on how the weather is doing around it.
The Ready Seal 505 is also eco-friendly. You should add a drop cloth on your plants and vegetation to avoid pollution and to keep the plants safe. but you will not cause damage to your vegetation when you plan on using this and it will make sure that there is no damage to the environment around your home either.
When you first put it on your deck, it will appear to be really dark, but after 14 days, you will see it lighten up and can look amazing.
- Easy to use and durable
- Provides good coverage
- Will not need a primer
- Dries quickly and requires little maintenance
- The color can fade off in just six months
- You can’t apply it to a newly stained or painted surface
- Requires no primer. Ready Seal is darkest when first applied. It reaches its true color in...
- May be applied using sprayer, roller or brush onto the woods surface.
- Requires no back brushing and will nerver leave runs, laps, or streaks.
- Requires no wet-line application, the product will blend itself and can be applied in any...
Best Protection Sealer for Pressure Treated Wood: Minwax 630510444 Water Based Spar Urethane
This is a water-based wood sealer that is considered one of the best options for all treated wood. The Minwax 630510444 Sealer is going to make sure that the finish is bright and protective all in one. This product is even able to protect the wood from changes that are a result of the temperature, such as warping and more.
This Minwax sealer is best for decks that have already been stained. If you need help picking, we review stain spraying guns in a separate article.
It is easier to use a sprayer to apply this sealer compared to a sprayer. Even though they do not offer as much control while you do the application, the sprayer is going to help the project go more smoothly and they will make sure you get the work done faster.
The Minwax is also really thick compared to some of the other options on the list, making it somewhere between a warm syrup and water so you know you are getting some of the protection that your wood decks will need.
This is just the start to some of the things that you can enjoy with this sealer. It provides good protection against UV rays from the sun and it will dry quickly when you are done applying it to your deck.
With a bit of warm water, you can clean the whole deck off without a lot of hassle. And the formula has a bright finish, which means it works the best for a bright finish.
- It is able to dry in a short amount of time
- Has great UV protection
- Will keep the deck safe from temperature changes
- It is more expensive
- Does result in a slight yellowing of the deck
- Contains UV blockers to reduce the sun's graying and fading effects
- Forms a protective barrier against rain and moisture
- Special oils allow the finish to expand and contract with the wood as seasons and temperatures...
- Ideal for use on doors, windows, trim, bathroom cabinets, bar tops, kitchen countertops, outdoor...
Best to Show the Beauty of the Wood: DEFY Extreme Semi-Transparent Exterior Wood Stain
This deck sealer is designed to resist darkening and fading, even over time, which helps it to last longer than the Ready Seal 505 that we already looked at. When you are tired of replacing your sealer all the time because of harsh weather and other conditions, then this DEFY sealer is the best option.
When you need a high-quality stain, this is one of the best options to choose. It is easy to apply and allows the wood grain to show up under the stain since it is semi-transparent. The natural matte finish helps it to last a long time without wearing out.
This wood stain is able to handle all wood surfaces that you would like to do. In addition to working on your deck, it will help with furniture, fences, outdoor patios and more. As long as the wood has been pressure-treated, this sealer is going to do the work.
It is also easy to maintain and you will not need to sand or strip the surface like you do with the #1 Deck Premium Sealer. This helps you to get the sealer onto the treated wood without a ton of issues.
You may want to consider using the DEFY Wood Brightener before you get started in order to help make the wood come up in a brighter shade, but this is not necessary. It is best to only put this on when it is cloudy or when you can avoid direct sunlight to make sure it has a chance to dry well.
- It is easy to apply and clean
- Does not require stripping or sanding
- A durable sealer that will resist fading and graying
- The stain does not last as long as some
- You can’t apply it under direct sunlight
- WATER-BASED SEMI-TRANSPARENT WOOD STAIN – This environmentally friendly, water based deck stain...
- FORTIFIED WITH ZINC NANO-PARTICLE TECHNOLOGY– It’s like sunscreen for your wood. Tiny zinc...
- EXTREMELY DURABLE, QUALITY THAT LASTS – DEFY Extreme wood stains are made with the highest quality...
- EASY TO MAINTAIN – When it’s time to do a maintenance coat, there’s no need to sand or strip...
Best for Wet Surfaces: #1 Deck Premium Semi-Transparent Wood Stain for Decks
When you are looking for a good stain and sealer, you will find that #1 Deck Premium is one of the best options. When it is used with hardwoods, softwoods, and other woods that are pressure-treated, this sealant is able to help protect the wood while also adding some color to it as well.
You should be aware that when you use this sealer on hardwoods, you will need to do more than one coat to get it done.
If you would like to have more control over the colors of your deck, then the #1 Deck Premium sealer is a great option to choose. This brand comes in five semi-transparent stain colors for you to choose while enhancing the grain of the wood already found on the deck.
Each color is going to dry in flat and natural-looking finishes that will help make sure the deck looks amazing all the time.
To add to the beauty that this sealer provides, it will work on damp wood too. This can make it easier to apply the sealer without having to wait for a warm and dry day. It takes just three steps to apply including clean or strip, brighten, and stain.
The application is easy and it will dry fast so you can enjoy the deck in no time. It is best to use this on a surface that has had time to weather for a minimum of a year. This helps the sealant to have a better chance of penetrating. You may need to sand the surface a bit, but use a coarse sanding to help.
- It is easy to clean and use.
- It can be put on damp wood and dries quickly
- It is waterproof and odorless
- It will not work well on wood surfaces
- PROTECTS AGAINST COLOR FADE AND PREVENTS GRAYING - #1 Deck Protects Wood From Damage Caused By...
- BOTH A DECK STAIN & DECK SEALANT IN ONE - #1 Deck Stain Is a Dual-Purpose Stain & Sealer. It Adds...
- ALLOWS THE WOOD GRAIN TO SHOW THROUGH - Available in 5 Beautiful, Semi-Transparent Deck Stain Colors...
- BETTER FOR THE PLANET, EASY SOAP & WATER CLEANUP - With Less Than 50 g/L VOC Content, #1 Deck Sealer...
Best Low Odor Deck Sealer: Rainguard Homeowner Wet Look High Gloss Sealer
Rainguard Wet Look Gloss Sealer is a durable water sealer that can work on a lot of different materials. It can protect and seal the area while also making it beautiful. The glossy wet look is amazing, even after the sealer has had time to dry.
This is a challenging and durable water sealer. When you apply it to a treated deck, it will adhere to the deck and will not flake for many years. This durability is promised to last for 5 years, much longer than some of the other choices.
One thing that consumers will like is that this sealer has a non-yellowing effect when it gets dry. This helps maintain the beautiful look of the wood on your deck. Once it is applied to the deck, it is able to resist any damage from ultraviolet rays, even when you find that the deck is in direct sunlight. And it has the ability to repel water so that the wood deck is less likely to wear out.
Since it is a water-based sealant and has a low VOC, you know it is eco-friendly. And with a low odor, you can even use it on some of your wood projects inside. With this sealer being water-based, it is also easy to add to a hand pump sprayer to make application easier.
When you are ready to make your treated porch look awesome while protecting it from the elements, then this sealer is one of the best options to choose.
- Durable and easy to apply
- Works on wood, concrete, and bricks
- Low odor so you can use it both on an outside deck and inside wood projects
- You do not need a primer to use this option
- Provides a non-yellowing effect
- Sometimes leaves a milky-white on the deck
- Protects, seals and beautifies surfaces with High Gloss, "Wet look" clear acrylic finish
- Tough, durable, water sealer for concrete, wood, brick resists flaking with excellent adhesion
- Non-yellowing, resists UV damage for superior outdoor performance
- Micro-Lok technology provides a breathable, tough, durable, long lasting sealer with a 5 Year Labor...
Best Budget Deck Sealer for Pressure Treated Wood: Thompson Waterseal Semi-Transparent Waterproofing Stain
When you are looking for a complete outdoor wood protector, Thompson Waterseal Semi-Transparent Stain and Sealer is a great option to use. This decker sealer is able to seal up the deck well without a big hassle. This can allow water that pours or spills onto the surface to bead up on the deck rather than letting the wood absorb it. This will help prevent the potential water damage.
This sealer is designed to have advanced polymers that is able to resist fading colors so your deck will look good for a long time. It also resists mildews and any damage from the sun once it is put on.
The stain is able to last for 4 years on a deck and even longer when you place it on siding and fences. This can make life a bit easier and lasts longer than some of the other options.
When you use this semi-transparent sealer the proper way, it is easy to apply and produces the best results on the list. The water-resistance is one of the best on our lists, even when. You live in a wet climate. You should consider washing the wood on the deck before you try to apply this sealer down.
You are able to use this on all wood surfaces and with five colors to choose from, you can pick the right color for your deck.
We’ve compared Thompson’s Waterseal to Olympic Waterguard, two of the top budget water sealers.
- An inexpensive sealer that is meant to last
- Provides good coverage and will dry quickly
- It is easy to apply and clean
- Will not require double coating
- You can’t apply it with a spray
- The colors don’t really match what they appear
- Color: Woodland Cedar
- Wood sealer and stain, all in 1
- Prevents water damage, applies to freshly cleaned damp or dry wood
Considerations for Pressure Treated Wood Sealers
When you are choosing to work with a sealer on your deck, there are a few different things that you need to consider. You need to decide what type of wood sealer you need and then you need to know which factors are important when picking from all of the great options available for sealers.
Types of Wood Sealers
First, we need to look at the types of sealers that you can choose. Each one will have a different type of functionality based on what is inside. The most common types of wood sealers include:
- Clear sealers: These are the sealers that will have no pigments in them or will use a minimal amount of pigment. This lets the natural beauty of the wood shine through.
- Wood toner: These are going to work the same as the clear sealers, but they are designed to have a little extra color.
- Solid stains: These are more opaque. They are best for woods that have bad qualities and can be enough to make them more attractive.
You might also opt for paint – read our reviews on the best deck paint available.
Things to Consider When Choosing a Sealer for Pressure Treated Wood
Pressure treated wood is going to need some special sealants to make them look nice and to protect against the elements. Some of the factors that you should consider when you go shopping for these products include:
- Color: You can choose whether to go with a clear sealant that protects the beauty of the wood or you can choose to add a tint to the wood. Make sure that you look at the different colors before making a decision to get it to match well.
- Resistance: When you are looking for the best deck sealer pressure treated wood, it is important to consider the level of resistance that it is able to provide. It is beneficial to get one that can protect the deck against moisture and sunlight.
- Application area: Another thing to consider is which areas you would like to apply the sealer. You will need to think about the quality of the wood before you choose a sealer. You will find that sealers will work differently based on the type of surface that you want to work with. For example, there are some sealers that will work well with some new wood, some like to be done on old and worn out wood, and some that work somewhere in between.
- Application method: Think about how you would like to apply the wood sealer. When you are able to answer this question, you can decide the sealer you need. You may find that the method of application can help determine which option is the best for you. For example, some sealers will not work well with a sprayer so you may have to change application methods or sealer options based on that factor.
- Strength and durability: These are both important factors to help you determine the quality of the sealer that you get. Not all sealers will have the same amount of durability and strength as the others. Try to pick a sealer that will stay with the wood for as long as possible. They may cost a bit more upfront, but since they last for several years, they are worth it.
- Cost: You will need to look at the cost. While it is a good idea to avoid some of the least expensive sealers because these are often substandard products, you do not always need to go with the most expensive option to get the work done. Compare some of the features and benefits of each one to help you determine which is the right one while maintaining your budget.
Choosing a good sealer is one of the best decisions you can make for your pressure treated deck. It is going to provide the deck with more protection and care than ever before, ensuring that your deck is able to last for many years to come. W
hen you consider some of the factors above, you will be able to keep the deck looking amazing for longer by choosing the right sealant.
Choosing the Right Sealer
A sealer can be an important part of the process to help protect your deck and make it last for a long time. After you pressure treat the wood, you need to add in a sealant to keep the rain and other elements out, making the deck look as nice as possible. When you are ready to add a good sealant on your wood deck, make sure to check out some of the options above to get the right one.