If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
The best router that you can choose for your router table is going to combine together the size of any bits you will use, the space that is available in your wok space, and the budget. You may also be concerned about some of the extra features that you have, like a soft start or control over the speed for the router. Finding the best router for your router table can be a big undertaking and we are going to take a look at some of the best.
- Our Router for Router Table Reviews
- Best Router for Router Table: Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Combo Kit
- Best Budget Router for Router Table: Black and Decker RP250 Variable Speed Plunge
- Best Beginner Router for Router Table: BOSCH Router Tool
- Most Powerful Router for Router Table: Makita RP2301 Plunge Router
- Best Dewalt Router for Router Table: DEWALT DW618M
- Best DIY Router for Router Table: PORTER-CABLE 2-1/4 HP Router
- Router Considerations for Router Tables
- Choosing a Router for Your Router Table
Our Router for Router Table Reviews
Purchasing the wrong router for any router table may turn into a costly mistake. Because a router table is the best when you can use a router lift with it, the router you choose needs to be compatible with a lift to get the most precision.
But that is just a part of the picture. The consumer will need to consider the horsepower, the collet sizes, the different table inserts, the speed, and even some of the differences that you will use it for.
There are many great routers out there that you can choose for your router table. Some of the best routers for your router table include:
Best Router for Router Table: Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Combo Kit
Bosch is a name that you can trust with all of their professional tools and this router is one of their key products you are sure to love. And the Bosch 1617EVSPK Wood Router Combo Kit helps to maintain this record. This is a top seller that has all of the features that you would ever need.
This is a combination kit that provides a constant speed circuitry to give you a steady speed, even through some of the tough cuts. The RPM range is from 8000 to 25,000 and the collets are ¼ and ½ inch.
You will enjoy the chip shields and the dust sealed router switch that will make sure the product is able to last for a long time. The tool-free conversion between the bases can make working with this tool a breeze.
It is durable, made out of aluminum construction that can last a long time, is easy to use, and can maximize the amount of control that you need.
It has a built-in constant response circuitry to help it maintain a constant speed the whole time that you plan to use it.
- All the features that you need
- Is compatible with most router table inserts
- Can be used both on and off the router table
- Higher priced compared to other options
- Lower horsepower
- Versatile: This versatile kit can be used for a broad range of applications, including precise bit...
- Durability: Aluminum construction makes this one of our most durable wood routers yet with wooden...
- Ease of use: Rounded hardwood handles maximize user control
- Convenient: With the built in constant response circuitry, our 1617EVSPK wood router will maintain a...
Best Budget Router for Router Table: Black and Decker RP250 Variable Speed Plunge
Black and Decker has a familiar name that can help add to the reputation of this router. And you will love the Black and Decker RP250 Variable Speed Plunge. This one comes in a compact size and the body will still remain even after you do a table lift, which is important at this price range.
This plunge router is considered a power tool and you will love the power of the motor and the amount of horsepower that is found with it. While it may not have the horsepower of the Makita option, it will still get the work done.
This tool also comes with a sightline base to help you control the cut and keep the depth as precise as possible. The depth setting is flexible to help adjust no matter what you would like to use it for. This makes it perfect to use on a table.
It is great for some of those smaller jobs around the home that you want to get done. This is another great one for beginners like our BOSCHO option, but it does miss out on some of the features that a beginner may want to consider having.
None of the other routers on the list provide you with the best value for the money from a name that you know you can trust. For more plunge routers specifically, check out our plunge router reviews.
- Lots of power for the price
- Works on many of the small projects around the home
- Compact and easy to move around
- Will not be able to handle some of the bigger projects
- Plunge router allows decorative cutting from the center of the work material
- 10 Amp motor provides superior power
- Gradual start function allows greater control, more precise results
- Includes 1/4-inch collet and wrench, adjustable parallel edge guide
Best Beginner Router for Router Table: BOSCH Router Tool
If you are a beginner who is looking to get started on using a router and growing your workshop, then the BOSCH Router tool is a great option.
This router is light-weighted and can give some of the finishing touches that you need to large and short tables. It does have a powerful motor, but comes with many of the versatile accessories that you need while maintaining a budget price.
One thing that customers will love is that this comes with a sturdy smaller square base with it. This helps to give the motor a boost to work with flexibility like a plunge, without some of the drawbacks of that.
It comes with ½ and ¾ inch bits with this one and there is a good deal of horsepower for the price. It may be less than the Makita choice for power, but it will still get the job done. As a beginner, you will find that this router has everything you need and more.
- Affordable for someone who is just getting started
- Can handle different sizes for the project
- Lots of accessories that come with the device
- It does vibrate when you first turn it on
- POWER: Variable-speed palm-grip router kit with soft-start and quick-lock systems
- TOUGH: Fixed base router with a 5.6 AMP motor with 15,000 - 35,000 rpm; depth adjustment system and...
- DURABILITY: This Bosch router edge guide offers a rugged aluminum fixed base that's durable, solid,...
- CONVENIENT: Includes palm router and Bosch router accessories (drop-forged collet and shaft...
Most Powerful Router for Router Table: Makita RP2301 Plunge Router
If you need a router that has a lot of horsepower, then the Makita RP2301 Plunge Router is the first option to end up on your list. It contains more than the Bosch 1617EVSPK, so if horsepower is important to you, this is going to provide that kick and more.
In addition to some of the benefits with the horsepower, you will enjoy that all the additional features, like the soft start, electronic speed control, and electronic brake, can make this a good option. When you need to do a larger project with some bigger router bits, this will be an attractive option.
The biggest issue with this type of router is that it will not work with the router table lift. There are some methods you can use to get around this, but overall, this is a high-quality router for you to work with.
With a 3 ¼ horsepower motor (or 15 amp), variable speeds that go from 9000 to 25,000 and an oversized ball bearing to add to the longevity and you will quickly see why this is one of the best routers for a router table that you can choose.
There are many projects that will need a little extra power to get them done. Not all routers will be up to that job. While this router will have a lot more power than what some of the beginners are able to handle, you will find that for those tough jobs, this is the router that you want to go with.
- Provides the best in horsepower
- Continuous duty to handle the big projects
- Does not fit well on a router lift
- Many need custom drilling holes to make it work with a router insert
- Powerful 15 AMP motor delivers 9,000-22,000 RPM for smooth routing
- Electronic speed control maintains constant speed under load
- Variable speed control dial enables user to match the speed to the application
- Soft start feature for smooth start-ups
Best Dewalt Router for Router Table: DEWALT DW618M
When you need a router that has a strong motor, then the DEWALT DW618M is one of the best options. While the horsepower is not quite as high as the Maita RP2301, it still provides 12 amps of electronic variable speed in the motor to give you the best kick in the process.
When you want a good balance between the power and your budget, then this can be a great option.
The constant speed is between 8,000 to 24,000 RPM and it comes with a soft start to reduce the torque so you can maintain all the control that you want. With all of the power that comes with the DEWALT, you will still love all of the control that you will be able to get from this router.
For added protection to the router, it has a dust-sealed switch. This will make sure that the dust is not going to get ingested, which can help the switch last longer. There is also a spindle lock button that is going to allow you to do a single-wrench bit changes.
This is a heavy-duty and precise machine that is going to last a long time. With precision and heavy-duty in mind, this router from DEWALT is going to fit the bill.
- Strong horsepower
- Soft start to keep it safe
- Dust-sealed switch will protect the device
- Is missing out on some of the great features that routers should have
- 2-1/4 hp (maximum motor hp), 12.0 Amp electronic variable speed motor provides the power to rout...
- Electronic variable speed with full feedback control for constant speed under load from 8,000-24,000...
- Dust-sealed switch protects against dust ingestion for longer switch life
- Spindle lock button allows for single-wrench bit changes
Best DIY Router for Router Table: PORTER-CABLE 2-1/4 HP Router
When you need a smooth, reliable, and powerful router, then the PORTER-CABLE Router is going to be one of the best choices out there. It can generate more RPM power, between 10,000 and 23,000 than either of the BOSCH options on our list while holding onto a 12 amp motor as well. This will help you get through some of the toughest wood on your project.
This is just the start to what you can enjoy with this router. The dual-position switch will help you to cut off the power while you are still in control and the grips provide the best in comfort while you do your work.
You will get the spindle lock for easy wrench bit changes when needed. And there is the durable latch level that will help you to adjust the depth to ensure that the project is done well. It even has rack and pinion adjustments to help you get more fine depth settings as well.
There are a lot of adjustments that you can make to this router, which will ensure that you will be able to maintain the control that you want. You can release the motor, clamp it down in the right position, adjust the bit height, and more. No matter the project that you want to get done, you will find that this DIY router will help you see success.
- Has a lot of RPM power with it
- Allows for a lot of adjusting when you want to change depth
- Gives all the control that you want
- Heavier weigh than some of the other options
- voltage: 120.00
- Soft-starting, 12 Amp motor features full-time electronic feedback that maintains motor speed...
- variable-speed control feature (10,000 - 23,000 rpm) enables bit speed to be optimized for changing...
- Release the motor, adjust bit height, and clamp the motor from above the router table with 3/16-inch...
Router Considerations for Router Tables
Now that we have had some time to look at some of the different options when it comes to the best routers for a router table, it is time to take a look at how to choose one for your needs.
Some of the routers will be hand-held and others will be used in table mounting. While we are focusing on the table-mounting ones for now, there are a few things that you can consider when looking at all the impressive features for a router that can be mounted on a table:
You want to pick out a router that has a lot of power with it. With a mounted router, the issue with losing control over the machine is gone.
This means that you can have more power without running into trouble. With a table-mounted router, you will be able to bite of bigger chunks of the work and get it done faster. The more power in the router, the less it will struggle with harder woods.
Before you pick up the router you would like to use, make sure to look closely at the voltage rating. This is going to be important because your router table and the router need to be compatible when it comes to the rating that you use. Take the time to look at this before making a purchase.
You need to be comfortable with the position of the controls before you make a purchase. Always keep in mind that when you add a router to the table, it will go in there upside down.
The more that you can adjust and have some control over these from above, the less you will have to bend and twist around to make it work. The more that the controls can be found in the front of the router, the less time you will need to spend cutting too.
How Easy It Is to Change the Bits
You want to make sure that there is no spin. It is important to be able to lock the spindle, which is simply the shaft that will hold onto the bit.
When it is easy to change the bits from the top of the table, without having to take the router away from the table, the better it will be. Keep in mind that ease of use is always important here.
Height and Depth Adjustment
You need to have a good idea of how deep the router can go when you use it. Depth adjustment is when you can move the router up and down, while it is still in the table, to make a deep or a shallow cut.
One of the things that you need with this router is the ability to make adjustments above the table. And you need it to be as simple as possible. This feature can cost a lot of time or save you a lot of time depending on the one you choose.
Slow it all done. Some routers will spin at a fixed speed and you will not have much control. Others will provide the speed adjuster so that you can determine the rate at which the router bit will spend.
Different bits and types of wood will end up working best at different speeds. It is usually best to have some speed control so you can mix and match based on the project that you want to do.
When you are able to combine together these different factors, you will be able to pick out the best router for a router table to get the project done and make sure that it looks nice. Make sure to check off each one that is important to you before you make any purchase.
Choosing a Router for Your Router Table
There are many routers out there, but not all of them will provide the horsepower or additional features that you are looking for. When you work with a router, you need to make sure that it will perform the way that you want for the projects you intend to use it for. When you are ready to pick out a router table for your needs, check out some of our top picks above.