If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
If you do woodworks at home or have a workshop for the same, you must have been familiar with the drill press vise. It is more like a clamping device with a design used alongside the drill press machines. These machines are fixed drills that mount over a stand.
Furthermore, the drill press vise usually comes in different designs, shapes, and sizes, but the application of all of them is similar.
- How To Use A Drill Press Vise
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To Use A Drill Press Vise
The drill press machines are helpful for specific tasks apart from drillings, such as sanding, polishing, sharpening, and others. The drill press machine comes with a flat base that consists of mounting holes over it. And it allows the vise to secure over the table of that machine!
Using the drill press vise is relatively easy, but it still demands you to follow specific steps for proficiency. Therefore, this guide will be helpful to you, and you can learn about how to use a drill press vise.
Step 1: Attach The Drill Press Vice
- For attaching, firstly, you need to determine the placement of the vise over a table.
- It would help if you bolted it down to the drill press machine’s table.
- You can also do it using a clamp to ensure that the attachment is not permanent.
Step 2: Marking The Drill Point
You need to get the workpiece or object upon which you intend to work. Next, you will need to use a marker or chalk to mark the point where you wish to drill. It is essential because you will eventually miss out on the drill line without a mark, and the result will not be as per your desires.
Step 3: Opening Of The Jaws & Positioning The Workpiece
- Now, turn the handle over the drill press vise in an anti-clockwise motion.
- It will open up the jaws of your vise.
- Get the placement of the workpiece within the jaws of the drill press vice.
- Ensure that the placement is an ideal position for you to commence with the drilling process.
- You need to keep in mind that the workpiece is not fixed at any angle. Hence, it will result in the drilling of a ragged hole.
Step 4: Closing Of The Vise Jaws
For securing the object or workpiece, the final thing that you must do is close the jaws. For closing the jaws, you need to rotate the same handle over the vise in a clockwise direction. Also, you need to keep on tightening the jaws with that handle until you are sure that the object is secure at the position.
Again, ensure that the job piece doesn’t slip out in the middle of your drilling application.
Step 5: Aligning The Drilling Bit
- Get the machine off state before commencing with this step.
- You need to align the drill bit concerning the mark that you made over the object.
- It is to ensure that the drilling will be accurate. This, in turn, helps achieve the desired result.
Step 6: Commence With The Drilling Process
You need to set the speed of your drill press machines. Adjust the speed with the help of a drive belt within the pulleys. Now you need to move it, and the speed will be set accordingly.
After that, you need to commence with the drilling process. Before you do that, for one last time, check all the alignments whether they are in the right place or not.
Now, go ahead and gauge the depths of the hole(s) that you want to achieve over the object. But without measuring the depth, you may create staggered holes at varying depths. Also, you can make use of the depth gauge to control the hole depth. With it, you can keep track of how deep you want to let the spindle drill through the workpiece.
Now, turn on the machine and lower the drilling press. Keep lowering slowly until the object and the drill bit come in contact. Next, you can proceed with a gentle grip over the drilling press to ensure that the drilling process is smooth and clean.
Here is a video explanation of how you can use a drill press vise for holding your object or workpiece. Check it out!
Frequently Asked Questions
What Are The Safety Measures That I Should Keep In Mind While Using Drill Press Vise?
Some of the safety steps that you should consider while using the drill press vise embedded with the machine include:
- Use an ideal brush for cleaning out the drill dust away after work.
- You need to wear eye protection to ensure that no dust gets into your soft eyes.
- It is preferable to wear tight clothes while operating the machine. It is because the machine might pull in the saggy clothes due to accidental contact.
What Are The Characteristics Of A Drill Press Vise?
There are enormous characteristics of a drill press vise that includes hard jaws for secure grip, usability with jaw pads, the ability to hold circular objects such as pipes or conduits, and much more. All of its characteristics explain the ideal application of the drill press vise. If you intend to know more about a drill press vise, then give a read to this article.
How Many Types Of Drill Press Vise Are Available For Us To Use?
There are a couple of drill press vises for you to choose from, depending upon your application. For example, they are quick-release vises and tilting jaw vises too. If you intend to know about these two types, check this article, which describes their differences.
Now, as you know how to use a drill press vise, you can commence with your implementation of the drill press machine. Get the desired holes upon your woodworks or other projects seamlessly, without any drilling errors. Just follow the steps in the guide, and you are ready to start the job.