If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
If you are familiar with using a Sawzall blade, you might know how precisely one needs to replace the blades. Sawzall is a sturdy yet reliable saw that is useful for both DIY and household projects. The blades and the machine have the proficiency to help you cut through metal, PVC, wood, and other such materials.
But, the only concern one needs to keep in mind is to change the blade in the appropriate intervals.
- How To Change A Sawzall Blade
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To Change A Sawzall Blade
The change of blades is directly proportional to the type of project you are carrying out. For instance, if you are cutting through metal, then you might need to change the blade more frequently than you would for cutting the wood. Therefore, you need to judge your application and then take note of whether the blade needs replacement or not.
But before that, you need to get an idea of how to change a Sawzall blade. And this guide will help you with the same!
Step 1: Locate The Clamp Screw Of The Blade over the Sawzall
- You will see that the Sawzall blade is an attachment to the spindle. It is a part of the saw machine.
- You need to look for the clamp screw that is holding the blade with a spindle.
- It is usually on the left or right side of the spindle in most Sawzall machines. But, the position of the blade clamp screw might vary, depending upon specific models.
Step 2: Use Hex Key To Loosen That Screw
- You need to get the hex key that is easily available in any hardware store. If you are a wood or metal worker and use different tools, it is pretty obvious for you to have a hex key.
- Insert the hex key into the blade clamp, and set it as per the threads.
- Now, rotate the hex key in an anti-clockwise direction for loosening the screw. Remember that you do not have to remove the screw out of the clamp completely. You need to loosen it enough to make it easy for the blade to come out or detach from the spindle.
Step 3: Replacement Of The Sawzall Blade
- Wiggle the blade, and pull it out from the spindle attachment clamp.
- Now, get hold of the replacement blade that you have bought for your saw machine.
- Ensure that you check the compatibility of that blade with your Sawzall machine. It is because, without compatibility, the blades won’t fit in smoothly. You may need to force the blade into the clamp insert, which might damage the machine and the blade.
- So, when you get a compatible blade, you have to insert it into that spindle attachment area, from where it was detached. There is a hole on all blades that are compatible with the Sawzall machine. You need to align the hole, screw, and clamp opening properly.
- Keep inserting the blade into the spindle until the blade touches the main surface of it.
- Now, you need to use the hex key once again to tighten the clamp screw and hold the blade firmly for application.
- You need to rotate the hex key in a clockwise direction to tighten the blade.
- Continue the tightening motion until you feel that the Sawzall blade is secure over the machine.
- Now, you can remove the hex key, store it in a good place, and start working with your Sawzall machine.
The newer models of Sawzall machines come with a quick-lock mechanism for blades. The process of replacing the blade remains the same, but you do not need a hex key for loosening or tightening the screw. Instead, the quick-lock mechanism or clamp installed within the machine or spindle performs the said job.
You just need to push the switch to the given direction, and the blade will detach. Similarly, you must place the new blade, align it correctly with the column and pull back the small trigger switch to clamp it. And, now the Sawzall machine is ready for use!
Frequently Asked Questions
When Should I Consider Changing The Saw Blade For My Sawzall Machine?
You need to check the sharpness of the blades first. For example, if you see that the blade teeth are blunt, then you need to do a replacement. The next thing is that you must check the quality of cuts that the blade is making. For example, if you see the cuts are not appropriate and demand much physical force, then the blades need a change.
One more thing to keep in mind is that storing the blades without care can deteriorate them. Therefore, ensure that you store them well! To know more about how to store the saw blades, check out this article.
How Do The Sawzall Saws Or Reciprocating Saws Work?
The saw blade within this machine moves back & forth in a fast motion. As it is a handy tool, it is mainly preferred by residents for household projects. So, if you intend to know more about how it works and its applications, then this link will be quite beneficial for you.
You need to keep in mind that tools are only proficient if paired with the best accessories. Therefore, if you own a reciprocating saw or Sawzall, then you need to ensure that you have compatible blades in stock to replace them at any time. Furthermore, you won’t like your work to be put on a halt just because you do not have spare blades.
So, go through this guide and perform the replacement on your own. The replacement method is easy, and you don’t need to hire a professional anymore.