If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
With the rising water rates and high frequency heat waves in summer, it makes sense to adopt efficient techniques of watering your garden. One of these ways is investing in the best soaker hose.
A soaker hose is basically an ordinary hose with holes punctured throughout its length. The tiny holes allow water to seep out at a rate that the plants and ground can absorb, thus maintaining the suitable moisture content. Unlike many irrigation options, a soaker hose gets water right to the root zone with minimal pressure and facilitates the growth of healthier plants while saving time and money.
Choosing the right soaker hose for your garden can be challenging. Models differ in aspects like material, pressure rating, length, and weight. To make your soaker hose purchase easier, we have compiled a comprehensive soaker hose buying guide and reviewed some of the best soaker hose brands in the market.
- Our Top Soaker Hose Reviews
- Best Overall Soaker Hose: Melnor Flat Soaker 50 ft Garden Hose – 2 Pack
- Best Lightweight Soaker Design: Gilmour 870751-1001 27075G 75-Feet Flat Soaker Hose
- Best Soaker for Money: Rain Bird T22-250S
- Best Innovative Soaker: Miracle-Gro Premium Soaker Hose Kit
- Best Soaker/Sprinkler Combo: Flexon FS50 Three Tube Sprinkler Hose
- Best Low Water Usage Soaker Hose: Taisia 1/2 inch Soaker Hose
- Best Flexible Soaker Hose: One Stop Gardens Flat Soaker Hose
- Best Heavy Duty Rubber Soaker Hose: Rocky Mountain Goods Soaker Hose
- Soaker Hose Features and Considerations
- Wrap Up
Our Top Soaker Hose Reviews
Best Overall Soaker Hose: Melnor Flat Soaker 50 ft Garden Hose – 2 Pack
For over 60 years, Melnor has shown exceptional commitment in developing genius lawn products like the Melnor Flat soaker hose.
This innovative soaker hose has been designed to soak needed areas to make plants strong and lush with minimal water evaporation and runoff. The hose is extremely versatile and gets water right where it is required.
The Melnor Flat Soaker Garden Hose works well in raised beds and vegetables. You can place this hose under a thin layer of mulch or soil, or even use it above the ground. Its porous holes deliver gentle and soft watering with no waste.
One of the most desirable features of this hose is excellent flexibility. You do not struggle during installation as it is made of vinyl, and can therefore bend to any direction you want. The Melnor Flat Soaker Garden Hose maneuvers in hard-to-reach spaces. It also twists around corners where regular hoses cannot reach.
By extending up to 50 feet, this hose covers an extensive area on the ground. Other available lengths are 25 feet and 75 feet. It fits a standard hose thread, and can hence be added onto a usual hose to further expand its reach.
Connection is easy. It includes rust-resistant end caps which allow multiple hoses to be joined together. This hose has a ¾ inch fitting size, and can fit a standard garden hose thread.
This hose is much easier to use than conventional hoses that are hard to bend. The product’s flat design rolls up tight, enabling you to store it even in a tight corner. The compact dripper design only takes an average of 0.05 ft³ each.
Melnor stands behind all its products and offers a 2-year warranty for this soaker hose.
What We Like
- Flexible and versatile to allow easy staking
- Porous to deliver water evenly and gently
- Useful both above the ground and underground
- Includes a compact design that makes it easy to set up, fold, and store
- Can be connected with other pipes
- Can be used on raised beds
What We Don’t Like
- Bending problems could choke off water
- Water is likely to leak if connections are not well tightened
- Backed by a Melnor 2-Year Limited Warranty. Melnor stands behind its products. Need additional...
- FLATTENS FOR EASY STORAGE - The compact design dripper only takes up about 0.05 ft³ each
- EXTREMELY FLEXIBLE AND VERSATILE - It gets water right where you want it! You can place it above...
- EASY CONNECTION - Included rust-resistant end cap allows multiple hoses to be connected together
Best Lightweight Soaker Design: Gilmour 870751-1001 27075G 75-Feet Flat Soaker Hose
With the Gilmour flat soaker, it is easy to create a stress-free DIY watering system. This facilitates the growth of healthy and vibrant plants by just placing the hose under mulch and hooking it up to a timer. This hose is made from 100% environmentally friendly recycled vinyl and has a clog-resistant fabric to ensure steady soaking.
The Gilmour flat soaker hose has been designed to ensure efficient watering through low pressure weeping. Low-pressure weeping inhibits the chances of evaporation as water is released into the ground slowly. The hose works best when the water pressure is 60 Psi.
Thanks to its flexibility and light weight, the Gilmour Flat Soaker Hose is suitable for watering shrubs, new seedlings, bushes, and gardens. This also makes it easy to move without disturbing your plants or flower beds.
The soaker is capable of feeding water directly into the vegetation’s root zone and can be placed underground or placed on the ground between shrubs, flowers, vegetables, or trees. You can also snake the Gilmour flat soaker hose through rows of maturing plantings or new seedlings and leave it in place throughout a growing season. However, it should be detached and drained before freezing weather.
Gilmour flat soaker hose is stronger than many conventional rubber hoses. It is constructed using a perforated PVC liner covered in fabric to protect it from harmful UV rays and give it a lasting performance.
What We Like
- Sold with a seven-year limited guarantee.
- Can be used both underground or on the ground
- Made with durable materials and lasts long
- Includes tiny holes to reduce water wastage
- Easy to unroll and install due to its flexible and lightweight design
- Can be used on a flowerbed
What We Don’t Like
- The inner tube can split if water freezes inside
- Kinks are hard to remove
- Snake through rows of new seedlings or under mature plantings for efficient, deep watering season...
- Create an easy DIY watering system by burying the hose under mulch. Hook it up to a timer and enjoy...
- Made of 100% environmentally-friendly recycled vinyl
- Clog-resistant fabric cover for consistent soaking
Best Soaker for Money: Rain Bird T22-250S
The Rain Bird T22-250S is an efficient soaker garden hose meant to seep water directly into the plants’ roots and the surrounding soil.
Rain Bird T22-250S is heavy and durable, which makes it suitable for both above-ground and underground installation. Patented tri-extruction technology has been applied to give the hose maximum durability.
A 70 PSI pressure rating allows the hose to carry more water and last longer. To add to its efficiency, T22-250S comes with a polished cover to resist dirt collecting abrasions.
The Rain Bird T22-250S is sold with a barbed tee connector to help you connect the hose to taps, nozzles, or any other hose. With a strong coupling connector in the hose, you can easily attach it to many faucets or watering tools. This makes it even more convenient if you have a big yard. You can buy multiple hoses and connect them with connectors to get the desired length.
T22-250S hose stands out for having a UV-resistant polyethylene and a strong and flexible tubing. It also comes with a stainless-steel spring to prevent kinks at the spigot. Before release to the market, the manufacturer tests the tube for kink resistance, burst strength, abrasion resistance, and connection strength.
You can get the rain bird soaker hose in different lengths including 50 feet and 100 feet.
What We Like
- Attaches easily with emitters
- Designed in a microporous way that allows tight connections
- Very durable and can withstand harsh chemicals and sunlight
- Can be used both underground or above the ground
- Is water-efficient and effective at watering plants
- Comes with a non-slip grip technology
What We Don’t Like
- You might have to tie something to keep the hose still
- The hose is semi-rigid and might be hard to bend
- Rugged, flexible tubing that's easy to unroll and stake in garden, flower bed, ground cover or other...
- Use as the main line in a small Drip irrigation system or to branch off from larger 1/2" Drip tubing...
- Textured finish improves handling; making connections faster and easier
- Extra flexibility for kink-free installation, unmatched resistance to chemicals, algae growth and UV...
Best Innovative Soaker: Miracle-Gro Premium Soaker Hose Kit
If you are looking to create a customized watering system with an easy cut-n-hose that allows you to customize and control your watering, the Miracle-Gro Soaker Hose might suit you.
This innovative system has been designed to deliver water straight to the roots where it is needed most. By burying the hose under mulch or topsoil, it uses up to 70% less water compared to standard sprinklers.
This Miracle-Gro releases 1 to 5 gallons of water per foot. Delivering the right amount of water ensures that delicate plants and vegetables that are not yet ripe are not damaged by water and pressure before they are ready.
The hose is made of 65% recycled lead-free material and meets Federal Safe Drinking Water Act standards. This makes it a perfect green choice for watering your fruits, flowerbeds, and vegetables.
The Miracle-Gro Soaker Hose offers different fittings with each hose depending on size. These include four female connectors, four male connectors with caps, four feeders, four plugs, and two tee connectors. EZ-connect fittings. This allows you to create a customized watering system by cutting this hose and affixing the fittings on either end.
Once fittings are well set up, the built-in water restrictor in the hose regulates the inner PSI. This ensures that your plants get just the right amount of water throughout the season.
Using the hose requires you to hook the hose to a water source, and place it in a straight line and only weaving when needed. For an optimal result, the water source should be at a high point. Each foot takes an average of one minute to fill.
This Miracle-Gro Soaker is available in 50, 75 and 100 feet.
What We Like
- Easy to customize
- Comes with a built-in restrictor that monitors plant watering
- Directs water to the plant, and gives the plant just what it needs, thus minimizing wastage
- Lead-free and certified
- Comes with a full-package kit
What We Don’t Like
- If not well tightened, the connections could leak
- It takes time to fix the fittings
- Releases a range of .5 to 1 gallon of water per foot while delivering water straight to the roots;...
- System lies directly under soil or much; Delicate foliage and vegetables stay protected from high...
- Meets the lead free standard under the Federal Safe Drinking Water Act; Measures 100' in length and...
- To use hook the hose up to watersource and place hose in straight line, weaving when needed; For...
Best Soaker/Sprinkler Combo: Flexon FS50 Three Tube Sprinkler Hose
If you are looking for a garden hose that doubles up as a soaker and a sprinkler, the Flexon FS50 Three Tube Sprinkler Hose could be all you need. This product comes with a unique 3-tube make that offers a 40-foot spray pattern, allowing it to be used both as a soaker and a sprinkler.
The hose distributes water evenly around the garden, depending on the method you choose. Should you feel that the soaker is not doing enough, you can choose to hydrate your garden using the sprinkler. All you need to do is position white stripes down for soaking, and up for sprinkling.
With its rubber and vinyl construction, Flexon FS50 is undoubtedly durable and will not disappoint you by tearing up after the first years of consistent use. The sprinkler hose exhibits much versatility and flexibility. This makes it easy to lay it out on the lawn for intended purposes.
Almost every part of the Flexon FS50 hose is multifunctional. The sprinkler has an easy-to-remove end cap that can be used to lengthen it. You can also use this to flush out particles of minerals.
You can find this Flexon flat soaker hose in 25 and 50 feet lengths. If the Three tube sprinkler system is not ideal for you, you can opt for Flexon’s two-pack or four-pack system.
What We Like
- Can be used both as a soaker and a sprinkler
- Offers three-tube watering technique to ensure adequate watering
- Is flexible and versatile
- Made of quality materials to add on its durability
- Long enough and easy to lay out
What We Don’t Like
- The soaker holes could expand with time
- Could be difficult to stretch it out during the first time of use
- Best used for lawn and garden, sprinkling, and soaking
- White stripes can be positioned up for sprinkling, down for soaking
- The lawn mowing enjoyable with an advanced reel mower that’s 60 percent easier to push than other...
- New reversible grass chute can be positioned to direct clippings forward, away from your feet, or...
Best Low Water Usage Soaker Hose: Taisia 1/2 inch Soaker Hose
A 100 feet soil soaker hose, Taisia 1/2 inch Soaker Hose, is long enough to water the entire garden without having to make multiple connections. This soaker hose is flexible and winds around the entire garden, watering all plants.
The Taisia 1/2 inch Soaker Hose stands out for its ability to offer consistent soaking throughout, even uphill. It distributes water evenly without leaving dry patches anywhere within its reach, hence adding on watering efficiency.
The hose conserves water by itself, ensuring that no water is wasted and that the plant gets only the required amount of water. On average, this soaker hose saves up to 30% off your water bills. This is due to its ability to dispense water to plant roots directly while minimizing evaporation and run-off. This Apex would make a great solution if you live in a place with water shortage problems, and if you are looking for a soaker hose that keeps you from paying hefty water bills.
The Taisia 1/2 inch Soaker Hose has a vinyl construction that dramatically improves flexibility. The hose is thus easier to handle and wind than most of its competitors. Brass ABS plastic E-Z tite couplings enhance secure connections. You can connect up to 400 feet.
What We Like
- Easy to set up and use
- Makes water penetrate deep into the roots and thus keeps the plant well hydrated
- Great at conserving water
- Covers a vast area and easily unwinds in the garden
- Built for durability
- Comes with a 7-year guarantee
What We Don’t Like
- The holes could widen with time
- The hose is quite bulky
- FLEXIBLE AND FULLY CUSTOMIZABLE -1/2 inch Diameter. Easy to create a custom length hose and easy to...
- PERFECT DELIVERY OF WATER - Save up to 70% water. Evenly waters from beginning to end slowly, steady...
- ECONOMICAL AND GREEN- Save up to 70% water. Lead free, eco safe. made from 100% recycled materials,...
- LIGHTWEIGHT AND DURANLE - The smaller diameter and higher tensile strength make this lightweight...
Best Flexible Soaker Hose: One Stop Gardens Flat Soaker Hose
If you are planning on maximizing your irrigation while using little water, the One Stop Gardens Flat Soaker Hose is another excellent choice to consider. This hose has been designed to soak the right point of the garden and saves as much as 70% water over most conventional sprinklers.
The One Stop hose delivers even water distribution, allowing your plants to receive just the right amount of moisture. This ensures that your flowers and vegetables do not spoil
It is made with heavy-duty woven nylon whose chances of damage are minimal. It can serve you for years before having to make a replacement.
Unlike many of its competitors, this hose will not give you a hard time. You can attach it to most connections just by following manual instructions, thanks to its 3/4-inch thread. The hose is available in 25 and 50 feet lengths.
One factor that makes the One Stop Gardens Flat a favorite of most gardeners is its flexibility. Unlike most round soaker hoses that work best on straight gardens, this flat soaker hose easily maneuvers through different garden shapes and shrubs without compromising on the water flow or pressure. You can also fold the hose easily and store it even in a tight space when not in use.
What We Like
- Made with a robust nylon hose sleeve
- Easy to use with and without a miser disc
- Does not damage plants as it soaks directly into the roots
- Lies flat on the ground to offer maximum irrigation
- Hooks well with most hose connections
- Durable, lightweight, and easy to fold
- Easy to set up
What We Don’t Like
- Could over soak the garden if there is too much water at the source
- May not lay entirely flat
- Lies flat on ground and "weeps" water for maximum irrigation.
- Soaks roots directly, won't damage plants.
- Use with or without miser discs to restrict water flow up to 75%.
- Standard 3/4" thread hooks to most home hose connections.
Best Heavy Duty Rubber Soaker Hose: Rocky Mountain Goods Soaker Hose
If you are looking for a robust garden and flower bed soaker hose that doesn’t require supervision after installation, the Rocky Mountain Goods Soaker Hose might suit you.
The hose gets its heavy-duty design from the recycled rubber. It has been crafted to water the garden evenly without leaving dry patches. With its strong material, this hose will serve you longer than most average hoses.
You can get the Rocky Mountain Goods Soaker Hose in 25 and 50-feet lengths. The hose has a big diameter that allows more water to flow through it. The pores are well distributed to target plants and reduce water wastage. Available diameter options are ½-inch and 5/8-inch for either length options.
By following a few installation guidelines, this hose will be easy to set up to start watering your lawn. The kit comes with quick attach reinforced fittings to enable easy connection and addition of more soaker hoses.
This hose passes water with minimal pressure to give your plants enough water without wastage. Like many high-end hoses, you can count on the Rocky Soaker hose if you are looking to economize on water bills while supplying your plants with just the required amount of moisture. This and its durability makes the Rocky Mountain hose worth its relatively high cost.
To make its high cost even more reasonable, the manufacturer offers a seven-year warranty on this soaker hose.
What We Like
- Has a broader diameter that allows more water to flow through it
- Made from heavy-duty recycled rubber and is durable
- Offers even and consistent water distribution and saves up to 70% of water compared to conventional sprinklers
- Water flows with minimal pressure to reduce wastage
- Has well-distributed pores for even watering
What We Don’t Like
- The hose is relatively costly
- Not the easiest to set up
- Heavy duty recycled rubber soaker hose is made to last
- Add length when needed - Quick attach reinforced fittings are included and make for easy connect of...
- Works great for gardens and flower beds
- Saves up to 70% more water than traditional sprinkling systems
Soaker Hose Features and Considerations
A soaker hose drips water where it is precisely needed. However, you will only get the desired results from this form of irrigation if you choose the best soaker hose from the many options in the market. Regardless of your watering needs, consider the following factors before buying as soaker hose.
You need a soaker hose that can withstand the pressure of water. If the hose is unable to withstand high pressure, it could break and flood your garden, leading to severe damages and losses.
The ideal choice is a hose with a pressure rating of 20 to 60 PSI.
Alternatively, a 10 PSI soaker hose would as well work well for drip irrigation as it allows water to steep out instead of sprinkling. It is also a good idea to look for a soaker hose that has a pressure regulator.
Pressure information is usually included in the packaging of a soaker hose. You can also read reviews or test the pressure by yourself using a gauge.
Your soaker hose should have a length that adequately covers all areas of your garden bed. With this, the size of your garden will dictate the right length of your soaker hose.
Manufacturers make soaker hoses in various lengths, but the most common options are 25, 50, and 100 feet. If you want more length, you can easily combine hoses.
When installing soaker hoses in turns, you should account for that in the length you choose. However, it is advisable to have the maximum length as 100 feet so as to maintain good water pressure.
Flexibility and Ease of Use
You need to consider your flexibility needs before buying a soaker hose. Stiff hoses will give you a hard time staking and winding around the lawn, especially if the plants in your garden are unevenly distributed.
For DIY watering, you should also get equipment that is not hard to set up, uninstall, and even store. The best soaker hose is one that is easy to install and use, and one that does not require much supervision after installation.
Number of Holes and Flow Rate
Soaker hoses of similar length can have a varying number of punctured holes. Depending on its intended use, you should go for a hose with enough perforations so your crops can get consistent and gentle drips.
Industry experts recommend a water flow rate of one gallon per minute for every 100-feet segment of the hose. If you intend to buy hoses with a lower flow rate, you would need to limit soaker hose segments to a maximum of 100 feet.
Style and Shape
Soaker hoses are made in an array of sizes and styles, including flat and the traditional round shape.
While both can give your crops efficient watering, flat soaker hoses have a better aesthetic appeal and are capable of directing water to a precise point since they have holes on only one side. However, flat hoses are not a good option if you want a hose that you can bury into the soil.
On the other hand, round soaker hoses would work well if you want a more heavy-duty soaker hose. A round soaker hose can be buried into the soil or mulch.
Material and Durability
Although different soaker hose brands differ in many aspects, most are made using recycled tires. Hoses made from tires tend to be strong and durable. These are also capable of standing up to harsh elements in the soil, mud, dirt, and mulch.
Other suitable soaker hose materials are polyurethane and vinyl. Polyurethane soaker hoses are durable and are not easily affected by UV and ozone exposure.
On top of choosing a durable soaker hose material, ensure that the material is food safe.
A warranty makes you confident that you are purchasing the right soaker hose quality. Hence, you should always have a look at the warranty terms before making a purchase.
Most soaker hoses come with a 1 to 6-year warranty, while some will come with only a 30-day or 60-day guarantee.
In a market flooded with all sorts of soaker hoses, you ought to be careful when deciding on the product to buy.
Whether costly or cheap depends on the features of each and the warranty guarantee. The last thing you want is to spend too much and get disappointed, or pay less and end up with a substandard product.
Whether you have an extensive vegetable plot or just intend to keep your lawn lush throughout the season, investing in the best soaker hose will make your watering more efficient and fulfilling. A soaker hose will dispense water directly into the roots of your plants, and prevent water wastage through surface runoff and evaporation.
However, you need to get the best soaker hose in the market to enjoy all the benefits that come with soaker watering. Consider all factors on our buying guide or choose one of our top picks reviewed above and you will have a reliable soaker hose for your garden.