If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
When you invest in a new lawn mower, you want something that will cut your grass and do it well for years to come. Keep reading to learn more about the best riding lawn mowers for tall grass that will ensure your spacious lawn looks pristine all season long.
- Top Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass Reviews
- Best Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass: Husqvarna Z254 Riding Mower
- Best Tall Grass Riding Mower for the Money: Husqvarna MZ61 Briggs & Stratton Zero Turn Riding Mower
- Best Cheap Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass: Ariens Edge Zero Turn Mower
- Best Large Lawn Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass: Craftsman Z525 Zero Turn Mower
- Features to Consider
- Frequently Asked Questions
Top Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass Reviews
Are you ready to get a solid riding lawn mower? Here are our favorites for cutting tall grass.
Best Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass: Husqvarna Z254 Riding Mower
The Husqvarna Zero Turn Riding Mower takes the top of our list for a variety of reasons. It’s efficient, fast, and comfortable to use for long periods. Lawn maintenance can take a long time, but not with this mower.
The 26 horsepower engine cuts grass faster than the other machines on this list and reaches speeds up to 6.5 miles per hour without detracting the cut quality by much.
The Husqvarna Z254 model’s auto transmission reduces the need for maintenance while in use and between uses. This mower features air induction technology that draws air from the top and bottom of the deck, too. This process improves the cut and makes your grass look cleaner.
You can change the cutting deck height to any width between 1.5 and 4 inches to customize how you want your lawn to look or make it easy to cut tall grass.
While this great mower will cut your lawn care time in half, it won’t work so well on slopes. The Husqvarna is best-suited for flat lawns with few hills.
This lawn mower wasn’t just built for tough grass but with safety in mind. When you lower the levers, the parking brake automatically engages. The padded, contoured seat also ensures the utmost comfort while beautifying your tall grass.
- Air induction technology ensures a high-quality cut
- Auto transmission reduces maintenance needs
- Deck wash port connects to a hose for easy cleaning
- Padded and contoured seat provides extra comfort
- Doesn’t work well on big slopes
- Only comes in one bright orange color
- 26 HP Kohler engine provides reliable startups and a max speed of 6.5 MPH
- A patent-pending park brake system automatically activates or deactivates as the steering levers are...
- Air induction mowing technology draws air from the top and bottom of the deck, improving grass and...
- Reinforced steel stamped cutting deck is made of heavy flat-stock steel for maximum durability
Best Tall Grass Riding Mower for the Money: Husqvarna MZ61 Briggs & Stratton Zero Turn Riding Mower
If you want your investment to be the ultimate worthwhile, the Husqvarna MZ61 model is the way to go. This powerful 61-inch zero-turn lawn mower features a 27 horsepower engine with an easy startup with the recoil starter pull.
The 61-inch width ensures you cut a lot of area at once, cutting down your lawn care time significantly. You can also adjust your cutting height to 12 different options between 1.5 and 4 inches.
The ergonomic deck lifting system lets you operate the machine and customize what you cut right from your seat. The steel cutting deck has 11 gauges, and the triple bag collection system enables you to discharge the clippings and sustainably use them.
Like the other Husqvarna mower on this list, we love the MZ61 for its ultra-comfortable seat and ease of use. Rubber isolators separate you from the vibrating motor, making it more comfortable and less fatiguing for you to cut through your tall grass.
The installed hour meter will light up to let you know when it’s time for maintenance, so there’s no guessing when you need to get your mower fixed. The mower also comes with a three-year warranty to ensure broken parts are covered.
- Cuts a width of 61 inches at once
- 27 horsepower engine packs a lot of power
- Rubber isolators separate you from the vibrations of the machine as it runs
- Hour meter alerts you of maintenance time
- Though it comes with a discharge and bagging compartment, the mulch kit is sold separately
- You may notice some traction issues in thicker grass
- Husqvarna 61 in. zero-turn lawn mower from the MZ series delivers commercial-grade power and amazing...
- 27 HP Briggs Endurance engine provides reliable startups and high ground speeds
- Fabricated 11-gauge steel cutting deck offers an excellent 54 in. cut with an ergonomically designed...
- Clippings can be discharged, mulched or bagged with a 9-bushel triple bag collection system...
Best Cheap Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass: Ariens Edge Zero Turn Mower
This Ariens Zero Edge Turn Mower may be on the cheaper side for riding mowers, but it still comes packed with power and features to cut tall grass with ease. It’s a durable, professional-level machine with a 42-inch deck and 11-gauge steel.
The 20 horsepower engine isn’t quite as strong as the Husqvarna models on this list. Still, it offers a commercial-grade power you can’t often find at a lower price. The engine lets you drive up to 6 miles per hour forward and 3 in reverse.
This mower features 11-inch caster tires on the front and 20-inch tires on the back for excellent traction across slippery slopes and uneven spots. In addition to the reasonably expansive 42-inch deck, you can adjust the cut height from 1.5 to 4.5 inches for a customizable lawn care option.
The exterior is made out of commercial-grade material, too. The cast iron and steel are durable and take on wear well, ensuring your mower works for a long time to come. However, when it is time for maintenance, repairs can add up due to the high-grade materials.
The seat features a high back and comfortable airflow so you can relax while riding around and beautifying your lawn.
- Commercial-grade engine and construction materials
- Customizable cut height from 1.5 to 4.5 inches
- High seat back and airflow create a comfortable riding experience
- 11-inch and 20-inch front and rear tires create fantastic traction on uneven surfaces
- Maintenance and repairs are expensive
- Featuring a 42” fabricated deck constructed of strong 11-gauge steel
- Powered by a 20hp Briggs and Stratton V-Twin Intek engine
- Foot-operated deck lift, high-back seat with seat springs, sealed ball bearings
Best Large Lawn Riding Lawn Mower for Tall Grass: Craftsman Z525 Zero Turn Mower
This Craftsman Z525 Zero Turn Mower is a solid gas-powered mower that will cut your tall grass with no problem. The 46-inch deck is wide enough to cover enough space to care for your lawn in no time. Coupled with the 45 horsepower engine, you’ll be able to swiftly cover expansive areas in a shorter amount of time than using other mowers.
The auto choke feature on the recoiled start gets your machine rolling almost instantly. When it’s time to clean, the included deck wash makes underside maintenance a breeze.
The adjustable handles and cut height make it easy to customize your lawn to your desire. No matter what height or adjustment you make, this machine will ensure a clean and crisp cut after every use.
Need to back up and cut? That’s no problem with this Craftsman mower. It will continue to cut while you drive in reverse. Also, it features a 360-degree turning radius to enhance your cutting efficiency.
The high-back seat cushion provides support and comfort while maintaining your spacious lawn and cutting down the tall grass. The safety seat harness gives you peace of mind, too.
The only significant downside to this mower is a lack of a foot brake. You must place the machine into neutral to let it slow down and come to a stop on its own.
- 45 horsepower engine cuts down lawn care time
- Cut while moving in reverse
- Auto choke feature starts the lawn mower almost instantly
- High-back seat for better support
- No foot brake.
- POWERFUL CRAFTSMAN GAS ENGINE WITH AUTOCHOKE Powerful 679cc twin engine suitable for larger yard...
- 46-INCH CUTTING WIDTH WITH INCLUDED DECK WASH: Riding lawn mower comes equipped with wide 46-Inch...
- MOW-IN-REVERSE: Mower can continue to cut when in reverse; no need to pause your yard work
- 360 DEGREE TURNING RADIUS: Change direction in an instant for more efficiency
Features to Consider
When you’re looking for a lawn mower to cut tall grass, there are a few considerations to keep in mind. Finding the right features will ensure you get the best lawn mower for your grass.
The cut width determines how wide of an area a mower can cut at once. Mowers with wider cut widths will get the job done faster but are much heavier than light riding mowers with smaller cut widths.
Light lawn mowers have cutting widths around 30 inches, while heavier-duty appliances have upwards of 50 inches in cut width.
Smaller cut widths are ideal for small lawns with a lot of obstacles. The thinner cut width will help you navigate hills, sidewalks, and other obstructions easily. If your yard is spacious and empty, a more extensive cut width will do well and help you cut your grass faster.
The amount of power your lawn mower can produce goes a long way in helping you cut your grass efficiently and cleanly.
A higher horsepower isn’t always necessary, though, but will help exponentially on hilly lawns. If your yard has steep hills, invest in a high horsepower motor on your lawn mower.
Like cut width, a lawn mower’s deck size will determine how fast and how much you cut your grass at one time.
Lawn mowers with larger deck sizes (up to 72 inches) are ideal for large lawns that take a lot of time to get through. If you only have a few acres of land to cut, a smaller deck size (around 36 to 42 inches) will suffice.
Also, consider whether you have many obstacles on your land and whether a mower with a large deck size could fit through them (i.e., gates, the garage, etc.). These sorts of challenges can play a significant part in your decision process.
Do your best to buy a lawn mower with a fuel capacity that goes along with your lawn size. You don’t want to buy a mower with a small fuel tank if you’re cutting multiple acres at once.
Spare the headache of refueling multiple times during your lawn maintenance by looking for mowers with larger fuel capacities.
Lawn mower fuel capacity is proportional to the size of the lawn mower. If you’re already investing in a big mower for your spacious lawn, the machine will already come with a good field capacity. Smaller mowers with less fuel capacity will work just fine on average-sized grounds.
Warranties can save you hundreds of dollars in unexpected parts replacements. Look for lawn mowers that have more extended warranties (at least a few years). The longer the coverage, the more trust you can have that the lawn mower is durable.
While it’s not a necessity, a reverse mowing feature can make your lawn care exponentially easier. The ability to mow while backing up makes it easier to cut tricky areas around tree stumps or other obstacles. It also helps a lot if you missed a spot and want to back up to catch it quickly.
The lawn mower transmission determines how you operate the machine. They typically come in three types:
Older lawn mowers have a manual transmission, making it harder to operate while trying to cut tall grass expertly. Automatic transmissions are easy to use but require a lot of maintenance in the long run.
Hydrostatic transmissions are the best option for operating a lawn mower and efficiently transmitting power from the engine to the wheels. It works like an automatic transmission but on hydraulics rather than gears and belts. So, there’s a lot less maintenance involved over the years.
A hydrostatic transmission also provides various speeds and gears you can easily switch to for a better lawn mowing experience. There’s no pedal you have to push to switch gears, and the braking and accelerating are much smoother and efficient.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it Okay to Cut Tall Grass With a Riding Lawn Mower if the Grass is Wet?
You should wait until your grass is dry to cut it with a riding lawn mower. Wet grass can clump together and clog the mower’s clipping mechanism. You won’t get a clean cut, and there will be clumps of damp grass splayed across your lawn.
What Riding Mower has the Highest Cutting Height?
The Ariens Zero Edge Turn Mower can cut grass to a height as tall as 4.5 inches. However, there are lawn mowers on the market that can cut grass up to 6 inches tall.
Investing in a durable and powerful lawn mower shouldn’t be a hassle. Use this guide to find the best riding lawn mower for tall grass for your lawn. Whether you have a spacious grassy area or a small spot with tall grass, the above lawn mowers will get the job done while giving you comfort and peace of mind.