If you buy something through a link in our posts, we may get a small share of the sale.
Thick grass can overwork your lawn mower and make your blades become blunt or fail. Therefore, you will need to look for sharp blades if you want to keep your lawn looking its best. However, not all blades are of top quality.
We have reviewed the best lawn mower blades for thick grass to help you mow your grass effortlessly. We have also highlighted the most essential features of our top lawn mower blades so you can choose the right blades for your mower.
- Our Top Lawn Mower Blades for Thick Grass Reviews
- Thick Grass Mower Blade Considerations
Our Top Lawn Mower Blades for Thick Grass Reviews
Best Overall Lawn Mower Blades for Thick Grass: Honda 72531-VH7-000 + 72511-VH7-000
The Honda 72531-VH7-000+72511-VH7-000 blades can only work with Honda products. The blades are genuine since they resemble the blades installed originally in the lawn mower. They measure 20.75 inches long and are designed to fit the HRX217 Honda mowers.
The good thing about these blades is that they rarely chip throughout their occasional use. Like most other blades, you should sharpen them first before putting them to use. Sanding them is also recommended to balance them.
These blades produce fewer vibrations and can slice through thick grass without the grass getting stuck in between them. One issue with these blades is that they sometimes arrive when they are dull. However, this is not a big issue because after sharpening them, they can last for a long period.
Another problem is that it takes longer to install the blades on your lawn mower. The setup process is not easy while the provided instructions are not clear. Additionally, the blades are not designed to mulch. Therefore, the mower uses bagging to function properly.
However, they neatly toss grass clippings into the disposal bag that is located at the rear of the mower. These are high to medium-lift blades.
What We Like
- Works effortlessly over thick grass
- Produces fewer vibrations
- Genuine replacement parts from Honda
- High to medium-lift blades
- 20.75 inches long
- Does not chip
What We Don’t Like
- Blades arrive when they are dull
- Difficult and time-consuming setup
- Unsuitable for mulching
- Honda 08720-VH7-000 Mulching Blade Set
Best Lawn Mower Blades for the Money: Maxpower 561713X
Maxpower boasts of a diverse audience. Their blades can work with three different brands including Poulan, Husqvarna, and Craftsman. Another plus is that the blades can be tried on other lawn mowers as long as they have similar measurements.
The Maxpower 561713X measures 2½ inches wide and 21 inches long. The blades also feature a 5 point center pole that makes installation easy. They are designed to make cuts measuring up to 42 inches and fits perfectly on any 42-inch cut mower. They produce less to no vibrations and are quiet during operation.
In comparison to other lawn mower blades, the Maxpower blades are durable and can handle rugged and thick grass. However, it is important to mention that these blades are not ideal for mulching your grass.
Instead, you can use them as high lift blades with a disposal bag. You should also bear in mind that the shipped blades do not come sharpened. You can sharpen them to pristine conditions.
Other than the minor issues, the 561713X blades deliver quality performance and are perfect for mowing thick grass. Another good thing is that you will only sharpen them twice annually to maintain their high-performance.
What We Like
- Universal blades as they work with up to three brands
- 5 point center pole
- Does not produce noise
- Fewer vibrations
- High lift blades
- Delivers quality performance
What We Don’t Like
- Sometimes dull blades can be shipped
- Not ideal for mulching
- 2-Blade commercial mulching blade set for a 42" cut
- Replaces Poulan, Husqvarna, Craftsman 134149, 138971, 138498, 127843, PP24003, AYP7143A79,...
- Each measures 21" long by 2-1/2" wide
- 5 Point Star Center Hole
Best Budget Lawn Mower Blades for Thick Grass: USA Mower Blades
The USA Mower Blades can be used on other lawn mower units because they are universal. Some compatible lawn mowers include Husqvarna and Craftsman. Like the Maxpower blades, these blades are also equipped with the 5 point center pole.
The blades are designed to be used on a 42 inches deck and are 21 inches in length and 2¼ inches in width. If you are looking for blades that can mulch your lawn, look no further than the USA blades.
You can also use them for bagging because they function as high lift blades. Generally, these blades are ideal replacement parts for lawn mowers. They are standard in size, sharp, and can function both as a high lift and mulcher.
The blades are also perfect for heavy-duty and light-duty jobs because they are well-built and durable. However, the blades can bend on sides and fail to perform optimally when put up against rocks and hard soil.
One thing you should note is that the blades can be shipped when they are not balanced properly. This tends to create immense vibrations when you are using the mower. This can affect your grip on the mower and make it difficult for you to cut the grass properly.
Additionally, the blades do not respond well to uneven ground. They will bend and twist and even miss out on some grass if your ground is not level. If your lawn is flat and level with no trees or rocks in the way, then consider getting these blades.
What We Like
- Function as a high lift and mulcher
- Ideal for heavy-duty and light-duty jobs
- 5 point center pole
- Universal blades
What We Don’t Like
- Can’t perform on uneven ground
- Can be delivered when they are not well-balanced
Mowing your lawn is a crucial part of maintaining your outdoor landscape. To get the best performance out of your lawn mower, you need to be using blades specifically designed for longer grass blades. This is a quick list of recommended lawn mower blades for managing thick grass.
- Fits OEMS: 532134149 532422719 532424752 539110460 91724676 917532422719 917532424752 917539110460
- Fits OEMS: 917777134149 954636867 777134149
- 2 Blades Required for a 42" Deck
- Made in the USA
Thick Grass Mower Blade Considerations
With the rate that grass grows, you’ll likely need to do this at least once a month to keep your lawn manageable and actually treadable. And with a good lawn mower, this should be easy. The problems will start if you have blunt blades. Let us explain further.
Why You Need to Change Your Lawn Mower Blades
These are the main reasons why you need to avoid using blunt lawn mower blades when cutting thick grass, and why it’s important to properly replace your lawn mower blades.
- To avoid damaging your lawn mower: If the blades are blunt, the lawn mower will be forced to work twice as hard to cut through thick grass. When overused in this state for a long period of time. You can risk permanently damaging your lawn mower.
- To avoid uneven grass growth: If your grass blades are not cleanly cut, this affects their growth. When blunt blades cut the grass unevenly, the growth of your grass will also become uneven and look unattractive.
- To save time trimming your grass: A blunt blade will take twice as long, and will need a lot more force to cut through thick grass. Your lawn mower blade needs to be sharp if you don’t want to waste too much time cutting your grass.
These are 3 significantly valid reasons for you to change your lawn mower’s blades once you start feeling like your lawn mower is struggling to cut the grass.
How Do You Know if Your Mower Blade Needs Replacing
There are simple indications that your lawn mower blades need replacing as soon as possible.
- You need to run over the grass several times to cut through all the blades: Blunt blades mean they need that extra bit of help to effectively cut through all the blades of grass..
- The grass blades are cut unevenly: When you notice your grass blades are unevenly cut after the lawn mower has run over it, you have blunt blades. By this we mean some blades are longer than others.
- Your blades get clogged up easily: If you’re finding your blades are clogging up a lot more or a lot faster than they usually do, this could mean your blades are blunt. It is not good for both your grass and your lawn mower when this happens.
Once you notice your lawn mower is cutting this way, replace your blades before continuing with the rest of your lawn.
Thicker grass poses several challenges for a lawn mower. When you cut grass, a mower has to have a process for moving the grass clippings out of the way. Thicker grass is especially hard, because there is less area under the mower to move the clippings.
Certain lawn mowers work best for cutting a thicker grass blade, but the mower blade also plays a role.
Considerations for Choosing Blades for Thicker Grass
There are so many types of lawn mower blade brands and designs to choose from. There are a lot of factors, such as compatibility and size, that will differ for every type of lawn mower. There is no one-size-fits-all.
Choosing the right lawn mower blade for taller, thicker grass will will depend entirely on a few factors:
- What brand is your lawn mower: Different blades are made for different brands. Choosing the best one for your brand is important. That’s why you have to consider which blades are manufactured for your lawnmower’s brand.
- The type of blades available: If you try to learn all the types of blades for lawn mowers, things will get confusing. There are so many different designs. The most common once are all-purpose, mulching, and high-lift. Choose the one that will benefit you.
- The type of blade that will work well with your type of grass: Different types of grass grow differently. Some are thicker than others. Some grow faster. You’ll need a blade that will accommodate your lawn’s needs.
Before buying a blade, make sure you do your research on these factors. The more you know, the easier it’ll be for you to make the right decision for your lawn blade choice.
Which Blade is Best for Thick Grass?
These lawn mower blade types will be perfect for cutting thick grass. Just don’t forget to make sure the one you buy is compatible with your lawn mower at home.
Standard or Deck Blades
This is the most commonly used blade for cutting thick grass as it is the basic blade for lawn mowing. It rotates horizontally, and generates an airflow when rotating. That pushes debris off the blade to keep it clean of grass.
It is also one of the cheaper blades, thus its popularity. You’ll find that most standard or deck blades are compatible with most lawn mower brands. If you’re finding it difficult to choose between blade types, go for the standard one.
Mulching blades are the most common lawn mowing blades. Their job is to cut down your grass into really small pieces that can decompose a lot faster.
Sometimes referred to as gator blades, this is the type of blade used to manicure lawns at parks and stadiums to create beautiful designs and patterns. Mulching blades are powerful and can wack through your longer grass with relative ease.
Landscapers love to use this. They can lay the cuttings back out onto the grass, or on flower beds, or even use it for mulch. This blade does two jobs in one go. And it is perfect for thick grass.
For you, this is a great blade specifically for longer grass.
High-lift lawn mower blades create a suction that discharges the cut grass at a higher angle. It makes it easier to catch the debris in a bag.
This type of blade is also the most ideal for cutting long and thick grass. It can dispose of the thick grass cuttings faster, and will have less of a chance of getting clogged up.
The best part about a higher lift blade is that you won’t have to go back and forth over the grass as much, which can be a common problem with longer grass.
High lift blades also tend to be higher quality and last longer. This is probably due to the fact that they have to made to cut thicker grass.
All Purpose 3-in-1 Blades
If you want a lawn mower blade that will work for both thick and thin grass, it’s best to invest in an all purpose lawn mower blade. This type of blade is also referred to as a Gator blade.
It is designed to mulch grass cuttings with a medium lift that can work for discharging the grass debris back into the lawn or into a bag. This is ideal if you’re working with different types of grass quality. Whether it’s thick or thin grass, you can use the all purpose blade for both.
This type of blade is also preferred by most landscapers precisely for its versatility. You do not have to compromise the quality of your mowing. It promotes healthier grass growth for both thick and thin grass blades.
You have a choice of these 4 types of lawn mower blades that work effectively in trimming thick grass. This is really important as thick grass needs good maintenance for even growth. The right blade will help you maintain a beautiful lawn.
For grass to grow well, thick, and evenly, and for your grass to look beautiful all year long, proper lawn mowing is necessary. To mow your grass well, you’ll need to guarantee that you always have sharp lawn mowing blades. Replace them everytime you deem necessary. It’ll be good for your lawn, and will make mowing your lawn easier to do.